- Working groups
- Civil society
- Technical cooperation
- Country systems capacity
- Enabling Environment
- Fragile situations
- Sector strategies
- Case stories
- Net search
LenCD is an informal and open Learning Network on Capacity Development. It is a network of individuals and organisations sharing a common interest in improving capacity development practice.
The network aims to promote and facilitate sharing of lessons and learning on capacity development and promote changes for better practice at the global, regional and local levels. Its specific strategic objectives are to:
- Strengthen evidence and facilitate dissemination of good practice
- Facilitate collective initiatives and processes needed to close “learning loops” and promote change
- Promote integration of CD into mainstream development policy
- Support regional and local initiatives to help change in CD practice on the ground
LenCD initiatives depend on energy from network members and partners, their shared interests and resources. Its initiatives include thematic and regional working groups, development of specific products, vetting of research and policy development, and sharing of knowledge through online resources, knowledge fares and other mechanisms.
The network emerged from several streams of research and conferences and was established in June 2004. LenCD was instrumental in organizing a roundtable on capacity development as part of the Paris High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness and in helping to develop a widely agreed reference paper “The Challenge of Capacity Development: Working Towards Good Practice” adopted by the DAC in 2006, and has continued to play a critical role in connecting the capacity development community, facilitating learning and dialogue around capacity development, and informing policies and practice on the ground.
At the LenCD meeting in Kigali in February 2011, LenCD partners agreed to align the network’s resources and energies behind the promotion of capacity development at the HLF4 in Busan. Leading up to Busan, LenCD and partners organised a workshop in Cairo with followup activities coming from the resulting Cairo Consensus, regional meetings in Bangkok and Bogotá, and a joint statement on results and capacity development. At the Busan forum, LenCD and partners organised a very successful thematic session on capacity development and launched a new publication Capacity → Results. Other outputs in 2011 included the publication of the Learning Package on Capacity Development, expansion of LenCD's online resources such as the case story library, and increased collaboration with partners in managing knowledge on capacity development. An executive summary and complete progress report of LenCD's activities in 2011 are now available.
- LenCD Charter
- Steering group members:
- Mark Nelson, WBI - (co-chair)
- Kobena Hanson, ACBF (co-chair)
- Florence Nazare/Bob Kalanzi, NEPAD
- Stella Mugabo, Rwanda PSCBS
- Rose Wanjiru, CEG - Centre for Economic Governance
- Jorge Prieto Cardos, Accion Social (Colombia)
- Antonio Tujan, Ibon & Reality of Aid
- Nils Boesen, UNDP
- Godje Bialluch, GIZ
- Paul Riembault and Maria Sancho-Hildalga - EuropeAid
- Janet Awimbo – AWG
Strategy and work plan
Keeping in touch
LenCD is one of many communities of people and organisations interested in capacity development. The Capacity.org web site maintains a good directory of communities to help you find people interested in specific subject areas.
LenCD network events
- 26 September, 2011 - Bogotá, Colombia
- 15 September, 2011 - Bangkok
- 13 July, 2011 - Kigali, Rwanda
- 10 February, 2011 - Kigali, Rwanda
- 15 December, 2008 - Washington
- 3 October, 2006 - Nairobi